Week 1 – Discussion 2
3838 unread replies.4949 replies.
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Responding to Literature [WLO: 2] [CLO: 5]
Prepare: Prior to writing your initial post, read Chapters 1 through 3 of Journey into Literature.
Reflect: As you explored in the The Value of Literature discussion, literature can provide us with a multitude of perspectives, ideas, and experiences. Additionally, there is a long tradition of critical reading and writing about literature (i.e., analyzing literature to seek a deeper understanding about various interests and concerns). Chapter 2 in our course textbook focuses on these ideas. Consider why people develop responses to literature and how reading and writing a literary response is a worthwhile endeavor.
Write: In your post, answer the following questions:
- Review the different ways of responding to literature. Which of these do you think you have done most in the past?
- What kind of response will you focus on in this course, and how will that type of response develops skills used for academic and professional purposes?
- Incorporate citations from your readings found in Chapters 1 through 3 to help illustrate the points you make.
Your initial post should be at least 200 words in length. The minimum word count does not include references.
Guided Response: Respond to at least two of your classmate’s initial posts. Each response should be at least 75 words in length and should address two or more of the following points:
- Do you agree with your classmates’ perspectives? Why, or why not? Be specific.
- Ask a specific question to encourage further discussion on the topic.
- Challenge your classmates’ interpretation of literature and/or point of view.
- Do a small amount of research and share what you learn with your peers about the topic discussed in this post.